Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Nothing is more important than your baby so it makes sense that you want only the best products for them – from the moment you take them from the hospital to the moment they outgrow their first car seat.
It’s normal for new parents to do lots of research beforehand and spend hours deciding between the products they’ll use.
One of the first things you’ll use with your baby is a carrier. It’s how you’ll get them from room to room easily and keep them close at all times. You’ll wear the carrier a lot, whether it’s at home or on the go, so you want it to be comfortable. A carrier shouldn’t just be comfortable for you, but also for your baby as they’ll be spending a lot of time in it too.
Ergo is one of the top brands for baby products and it’s no surprise why. All their products are made with your baby’s focus at the front of their mind and the focus of their work. As a well trusted brand, you know you can turn to them to provide a reliable and high-quality product for anything your baby may need. However, that may not keep you from still worrying.
The best thing about Ergo being such a popular brand is that you’re able to find honest reviews and lots of people who have personal experience with their products. Like you, these people are also new parents. We understand the worries you may have surrounding your baby’s first carrier so we’ve put together a comprehensive and complete review on the ErgoBaby Performance carrier.
- This baby carrier supports your baby’s hips, shoulders, and spine for the full duration your baby is in it. It also supports your own hips and back with extra padding to prevent future back pain or problems.
- Your baby will be cradled in a natural position whether you wear this carrier on your front, side, or back.
It has three different carrying positions: front, side, and back. You can easily switch between the three as well and the carrier is easy to put on.
- This carrier is designed to hold children from 7 pounds (3.2 kg) up to 45 pounds (20 kg).
It has a special insert for infants so it can be used by even smaller babies.
- This carrier can be washed in the washing machine easily which is great when you think about how often babies make messes. Whether your carrier gets covered in spit up or a diaper blows, you’ll be able to quickly wash your carrier and won’t have to worry about ruining the material.
- Unlike some carriers, this carrier by Ergo is very lightweight and durable. It has breathable materials that keeps both you and your baby from getting hot and sweaty.
It’s a very sturdy carrier without all the extra bulk some other brands or models have.
- This carrier is made with mesh to make it more breathable for both you and your baby. It was designed with the outdoors in mind, so you won’t find yourself sweaty or hot while wearing it.
- It is super easy to adjust no matter which position you want to set it.
- This is an eco-friendly carrier so you don’t have to worry about your baby being exposed to toxic chemicals or harmful materials. You can confidently use it with your baby and know your baby is safe.
- It is designed to be comfortable for both your baby and you for the full duration of wear. It’s incredibly comfortable even for long wears as well and easy to go almost the whole day wearing it.
- It is comfortable for extended amounts of time for both your baby and you. It can also fit people of any size and works great for even tall husbands to wear. No matter who wears it will find it rests comfortably on their hips and doesn’t strain their back.
- This carrier is breathable and durable. The mesh ensures neither you nor your baby will get hot or sweaty while wearing it and it will last a long time. It’s super lightweight as well to prevent extra weight from wearing you out while carrying around your baby.
- It can be used from newborn to toddler age. This carrier is designed to hold babies from 7 pounds all the way up to 45 pounds and can be adjusted to fit them as they grow. You will have to purchase an extra infant insert, but you won’t have to worry about what to do when your baby has grown a bit. This is a great carrier that lasts several years.
- This fabulous product was discontinued by Ergo in 2019 so the only options available are previous models. You can still find some on Amazon, but eventually they’ll be all gone.
- The regular Ergo infant insert can be hot and sweaty for their baby and makes them uncomfortable. An insert will need to be used until your baby is three months old or heavy enough to be used without it.
- There is not the option to forward facing when you wear the pack on your front. Some babies may not care, but others want to be able to see the world around them. The ErgoBaby Performance carrier does not allow for this unfortunately.
Why Choose ErgoBaby Performance Carrier?
There are lots of carrier options out there, so how do you know which one to choose? We’ve gone over and mentioned many of the pros and cons for this particular carrier so you should have a good idea about what it’s capable of, but here are some detailed reasons for why you should choose this baby carrier for your little one.
It’s Super Comfortable for Both You and Your Baby
As we mentioned before, this carrier is incredibly comfortable to wear for both you and your baby. It cradles your baby in a natural position so it doesn’t hurt their hips, spine, or shoulders and rests comfortably on your own hips and shoulders.
It can be worrisome to put your baby in a carrier where you can’t see their body, but this carrier puts those fears aside by providing a super easy way to keep your baby in a healthy position.
While you may not wear this carrier for hours at a time, there are those occasions that are unavoidable. You may go to a festival and spend the day carrying your baby or you may find yourself on vacation, wandering the local streets for hours at a time. It’s at times like these that you’ll be thankful you have such a comfortable carrier.
Your baby won’t fuss and you won’t have to switch who is carrying your baby because your hips or back is uncomfortable. Your baby will also be in a better mood because the carrier keeps them from sitting uncomfortably or in a harmful way.
It’s Lightweight, Breathable, and Incredibly Easy to Wash
This may not seem like an important factor right off the bat, but having a carrier that’s lightweight and breathable can make all the difference. When the heat of summer comes around, you don’t want to discover that your baby carrier is hot and sweaty for either you or your baby. Because it’s made with eco-friendly mesh, it allows for airflow and prevents you from overheating while wearing it.
It is also easy to wash, almost unfairly so. Many other things you buy for your baby may be a hassle to clean or have special procedures you have to follow, but not this carrier. All you have to do is toss it in the washing machine and let it be. This can be a godsend when your baby blows through their diaper or spits up all over it.
Easy to Use and Wear
Some carriers can be awkward to fasten or require a bit of help to put on or take off, but not this one. This carrier clips on easily with only two buckles that can be moved and adjusted to make it even easier. Even when you’re putting your baby on your front, the buckles are easy to clip and the carrier isn’t awkward to hold.
All three positions of the carrier are easy to use. You can switch between them smoothly and after just a few tries, it shouldn’t take long at all. This is great when you’re in a hurry or don’t have someone to help you out when it’s time to go.
Overall, the ErgoBaby Performance carrier is impressive. It’s also relatively affordable and on the lower end of Ergo’s baby products! If you’re looking for a carrier you can trust and use for your baby, this is definitely one to go with.
It’s comfortable, easy to wash, and healthy for your baby. Even better, it’s easy to adjust for anyone so your partner or family can take a turn carrying your baby around for a bit while you get a break.