Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
What’s your pregnancy skincare routine?
As you know, your skin behaves differently while you’re expecting.
For some women, acne flares up. For others, their face is drier than usual.
But you can adapt to these changes and still be beautiful.
Today we’ll discuss which skincare products are safe to use while you’re pregnant.
Specifically, we’ll review the best face moisturizers for pregnancy.
And we’ll talk a little bit about which ones to avoid.
- 23 Best Pregnancy-Safe Face Moisturizers (2020 Update)
- For Dry and Sensitive Skin
- 1. Vanicream Skin Cream with Pump Dispenser
- 2. Belli Women’s Healthy Glow Facial Hydrator Facial Moisturizer
- 3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Face Gel
- 4. Carapex Botanical Facial Moisturizer
- 5. Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer, Organic, and Natural
- 6. Eucerin Sensitive Skin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme
- 7. Cetaphil Daily Hydrating Lotion with Hyaluronic Acid
- 8. Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream with Hyaluronic Acid
- 9. Simple Facial Moisturizer, Replenishing Rich
- 10. EltaMD AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer
- 11. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sheer Mineral Moisturizer
- 12. BeeFriendly Face and Eye Cream
- 13. Paula’s Choice-SKIN RECOVERY Replenishing Moisturizer Cream for Redness
- 14. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche Soothing Protective Moisturizer
- 15. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra Soothing Night Cream for Very Sensitive Skin
- 16. Mustela Nourishing Baby Face Cream
- For Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
- 17. Paula’s Choice SKIN BALANCING Invisible Finish Moisture Gel Moisturizer
- 18. ACURE Incredibly Clear Mattifying Moisturizer
- 19. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer
- 20. Cetaphil Pro Oil Absorbing Moisturizer with SPF30
- 21. Vichy Normaderm Beautifying Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Moisturizer
- 22. Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF30 Sensitive Skin
- 23. Simple Gel Moisturizer, Ultra Light
- How Your Skin Might Change During Pregnancy?
- How to Have Healthy Skin While You’re Pregnant?
If you don’t have time to read the complete article, here are our top picks.
23 Best Pregnancy-Safe Face Moisturizers (2020 Update)
For Dry and Sensitive Skin
Let’s begin with face moisturizers for pregnant women who have dry or sensitive skin.
1. Vanicream Skin Cream with Pump Dispenser
Vanicream caters to those with ultra-sensitive skin and allergies. They’ve thought out the details down to the packaging.
To begin with, this creamy moisturizer is free of everything that could trigger an allergic reaction. It doesn’t have an artificial fragrance, dye, lanolin, parabens, gluten, formaldehyde, formaldehyde releasers, or masking fragrances.
You can use it on both your face and body. It won’t clog pores, and it sinks in quickly.
Next, it’s packaged with a pump dispenser. This keeps the moisturizer sanitary, free of contamination.
Are you curious as to what ingredients it contains? The label lists twelve, starting with purified water and petrolatum.
2. Belli Women’s Healthy Glow Facial Hydrator Facial Moisturizer
Belli Beauty makes one of the best stretches marks creams for pregnancy. Therefore, it’s no surprise that their face moisturizer is worth examining.
They have a comprehensive screening process to ensure the safety and purity of their products. They won’t add ingredients known to cause miscarriages, birth defects, or problems with breastfeeding.
This moisturizer is suitable for all skin types and tones. It blends grapeseed oil, chamomile, and Vitamin C to repair the skin.
It leaves your skin feeling clean and smooth. What’s more, it helps reduce acne.
3. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Face Gel
Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Gel is popular. It’s refreshing and oil-free, which makes it excellent for dry or acne-prone skin.
It also wears well underneath makeup.
One of the key ingredients is hyaluronic acid. This substance is normally found in the skin, but our bodies make less of it as we age. It can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water.
The fragrance-free formula smooths your skin instantaneously and keeps it hydrated throughout the day.
4. Carapex Botanical Facial Moisturizer
Carapex leaves out the artificial fragrances, dyes, and parabens to protect your skin from unneeded chemicals. They are a Canadian company that never tests on animals.
This face lotion is rich in natural emollients like sunflower, avocado, sweet almond, and grapeseed oil. It also has shea butter, one of Nature’s best moisturizers.
5. Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer, Organic, and Natural
The soothing fragrance of licorice is what perfumes the Christina Moss’ Face Moisturizer. The scent comes from star anise, a natural preservative.
The company avoids petroleum derivatives, propylene glycol, parabens, dyes, and artificial fragrances.
Instead, this face cream is packed with botanical ingredients like grapeseed oil, aloe, and avocado.
6. Eucerin Sensitive Skin Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme
Choosing the best night cream is no longer problematic if you have rosacea or acne. Eucerin created this creamy gel-like moisturizer to soothe your skin.
It has something called Licochalcone, which is derived from licorice. This ingredient calms irritation and reduces redness.
Give it a few weeks of regular use to make a visible difference.
The moisturizer is free of artificial fragrances and oils, too.
7. Cetaphil Daily Hydrating Lotion with Hyaluronic Acid
Cetaphil is a trusted brand that’s often recommended by dermatologists. They sell several different moisturizers that are non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, and fragrance-free.
Unlike some products made by their competitor, CeraVe, Cetaphil doesn’t use parabens as preservatives.
If your skin is irritated and dry, try this moisturizer with hyaluronic acid. It’s lightweight and oil-free.
8. Cetaphil Rich Hydrating Night Cream with Hyaluronic Acid
Boost the effects of Cetaphil’s Day lotion by following up at night with this cream. The hydration lasts for 24 hours after you apply it.
Hyaluronic acid, a pro-vitamin complex, and olive extract combine forces to rejuvenate your skin overnight.
Furthermore, it’s free of artificial fragrances and won’t clog pores.
9. Simple Facial Moisturizer, Replenishing Rich
Simple’s Facial Moisturizer passed the Repeated Insult Patch Test. The company contracted an independent laboratory to prove that its product was free of common allergens and irritants.
That only does it not have synthetic dyes or perfumes, it’s also free of problematic ingredients like sulfates, drying alcohols, and parabens.
The base ingredient is triple-purified water. But the moisturizer also has glycerin to hydrate your skin. Plus, Vitamin B5 lessens discoloration and redness while chamomile calms irritation.
10. EltaMD AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer
EltaMD’s AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer has caffeine in it. The caffeine helps reduce dark circles and firm your skin.
But take note that your skin will absorb the caffeine. Such a small amount is likely not a problem during pregnancy unless you consume excess caffeine through other sources.
After that, this moisturizer also has willow bark extract – which is basically salicylic acid. It gently exfoliates dead skin and unclogs pores.
If those two points haven’t scared you off yet, consider this. Doctors often recommend EltaMD’s lotion to their patients with kidney disease, diabetes, and overly dry skin caused by acne medication.
It heals flaky, red skin with hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, and antioxidants.
11. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sheer Mineral Moisturizer
Juice Beauty makes their moisturizer in four shades, from sheer to tan. It protects against sunburn and premature aging with SPF30. And no worries, it filters out UV radiation with minerals, not chemicals.
Meanwhile, it revives dehydrated skin with fruit extracts and plant oils. There’s even a version of hyaluronic acid derived from vegetables in it.
Consider this one the perfect choice if you don’t feel like wearing makeup but still want to look radiant.
12. BeeFriendly Face and Eye Cream
Keep your eyes from stinging when you use BeeFriendly’s cream. It’s based on organic and natural ingredients like purified water, honey, virgin olive oil, and beeswax. As such, it melts into your skin to make crow’s feet disappear.
This product is made in the USA and contains no parabens, artificial fragrances, or GMO ingredients.
13. Paula’s Choice-SKIN RECOVERY Replenishing Moisturizer Cream for Redness
Paula Begoun couldn’t find the products she needed to care for her skin. That’s why she started Paula’s Choice to develop safer, more effective ones like this moisturizer.
If you pick up a bottle and read the label, you’ll discover that every ingredient is explained. You also learned that Paula’s Choice never includes artificial fragrances, and they don’t test on animals.
If you’re dealing with rosacea or irritated skin, try this moisturizer for day or nighttime wear.
14. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Riche Soothing Protective Moisturizer
La Roche-Posay designed their Toleriane moisturizer for sensitive skin. It doesn’t have a fragrance, preservatives, or common allergens.
The creamy texture sinks right into dry skin and soothes it.
15. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Ultra Soothing Night Cream for Very Sensitive Skin
At bedtime, apply the Toleriane Ultra Night Cream to repair and plump dry skin. Not only does it moisturize, but it also wards off premature aging like wrinkles.
There are zero preservatives, parabens, and artificial fragrances in the bottle.
16. Mustela Nourishing Baby Face Cream
Get a preview of a product you can use on your baby when you try Mustela’s Baby Face Cream. It’s made to heal chapped skin on infants, but it works well on adults, too.
Two of the key ingredients are ceramides and Avocado Perseose. They are proven to seal in moisture and fortify the skin to keep it healthy.
Like other products from this high-end company, the formula is almost entirely plant-based. There’s never any worry about the phthalates, parabens, or even phenoxyethanol.
For Oily and Acne-Prone Skin
Now let’s review moisturizers that reduce acne and control shine.
17. Paula’s Choice SKIN BALANCING Invisible Finish Moisture Gel Moisturizer
A lightweight gel moisturizer may be just what you need to cool down irritated skin. This one contains niacinamide, which shrinks pores and diminishes redness.
If you’re worried about those lines forming on your forehead and by your eyes, it smooths them with Vitamin C and other antioxidants.
Happily, it’s fragrance-free and doesn’t have parabens, either.
18. ACURE Incredibly Clear Mattifying Moisturizer
ACURE’s Mattifying Moisturizer is packed with natural anti-acne ingredients. Plus, it controls shine without overly drying your skin.
Also, it has anti-aging elements to boost collagen and firm the skin. Some of those are lilac and chlorella (algae).
Finally, there are no oils, phthalates, parabens, silicone, petroleum derivatives, or formaldehyde in this product.
19. La Roche-Posay Effaclar Mat Oil-Free Facial Moisturizer
The Effaclar lineup from La Roche-Posay treats oily skin to make it velvety soft, and clean, not shiny.
The moisturizer is an award-winning product that’s free of oils and parabens. But take note it does contain salicylic acid and a fragrance.
It works best when combined with the Effaclar face wash.
20. Cetaphil Pro Oil Absorbing Moisturizer with SPF30
Cetaphil ‘s Pro Oil Absorbing Moisturizer keeps winning awards for its ability to work magic on oily skin. It’s even mild enough to use if you’re on prescription acne meds.
The addition of sunscreen cuts down on the amount of time you have to spend getting ready in the morning. Wear this as a primer under makeup, and you’ll be surprised at how little you have to touch up during the day.
Even though it’s lightweight, the Micropearl technology absorbs excess oil but prevents dehydration.
21. Vichy Normaderm Beautifying Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment Moisturizer
Are you besieged by pregnancy acne? Talk to your doctor about using Vichy’s Normaderm moisturizer. It combines Air Licium and Phe Resorcinol technology to shrink pores and soak up excess oil.
Yes, it has salicylic acid to keep your pores clear and remove dead skin. But it hydrates your face for up to 24 hours and shrinks blemishes.
22. Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF30 Sensitive Skin
The Olay Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer avoids oxybenzone, a sunscreen filter that’s under investigation.
Instead, it has zinc oxide, octinoxate, octisalate, and octocrylene to protect your skin from the sun. If you apply a sufficient amount, it blocks 97% of harmful radiation.
Additionally, it’s fortified with Vitamins B3 and E plus aloe to repair damage and moisturize. And it won’t clog pores and doesn’t have an artificial fragrance.
23. Simple Gel Moisturizer, Ultra Light
Sensitive noses and skin will appreciate Simple’s gel moisturizer. It’s calming and cool as it revives your face with triple purified water and vitamins.
There are no oils, parabens, or artificial fragrances, just pure refreshment.
How Your Skin Might Change During Pregnancy?
First, many women struggle with acne while they’re pregnant.
But they can’t turn to the usual medications.
For example, although retinoids are effective against acne, they can harm a baby developing in the womb.
Second, some women experience pigment changes like chloasma on their faces.
But again, skin lightening treatments may not be safe for a growing baby.
Third, almost all pregnant women find that their skin is more sensitive. It’s not just their sense of smell that reacts badly to fragrances.
Harsh soaps, perfumes, and other chemicals make their skin feel itchy and dry or may cause irritation.
So what’s a pregnant woman to do?
How to Have Healthy Skin While You’re Pregnant?
Happily, you have tools to combat these skin problems while you’re pregnant.
The easiest change you could make is to switch to fragrance-free products.
Next, avoid shampoos and shower gels with sulfates.
Most importantly, moisturize regularly.
Use a moisturizer suited to your needs – rich and creamy for dry skin, lightweight and non-greasy for oily skin.
If you have acne-prone skin, speak to your OB/GYN or dermatologist. They can advise you about safe treatments to use during pregnancy.
You may find that face washes and moisturizers with salicylic acid keep your pores clear and prevent breakouts.
Also, benzoyl peroxide kills acne-causing bacteria.
Limited use of both of these products during pregnancy is suggested by the American Academy of Dermatology and other medical professionals.
Did you discover a new moisturizer to try today? If so, leave us a note in the comments below.
We’re happy you trusted us to help you shop. We hope you discovered the right face lotion to meet your needs.
Now, we wish you all the best throughout your pregnancy and the years to come.
1. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/expert-answers/skin-changes-during-pregnancy/faq-20416440 by Yvonne Tobah, M.D.,
5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23657872 by Kong YL, et al.,